Sun, Jan

Liverpool centre back Virgil van Dijk (right) and midfielder Fabinho try to stop Southampton's Moussa Djenepo

English Premier League
  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times
Elsewhere on the day, relegation threatened Watford put up a brave fight at home, but saw their two-goal lead evaporate ...

Liverpool continued their ruthless breakaway run for the 2019/20 English Premier League title with an emphatic 4-0 thumping of rejuvenated Southampton for a record twenty-two points advantage at the top - the biggest lead by any team at the end of a day in English top-flight history – on Saturday, as distant second-placed Champions – Manchester City – await their turn on the field on Sunday, as guests of struggling Tottenham Spurs.

Leicester City and Chelsea played to an entertaining 2-2 draw in a see-saw encounter with the former being denied the complete comeback by Antonio Rudiger’s second headed goal of the day. Sheffield Utd bounced back from their recent 0-1 home loss to Man City with a lone goal victory at Crystal Palace to jump up fifth over an uninspiring United side, who were held to a goalless tie at home by Wolves.

Following up on his earlier effort, Antonio Rudiger arrived on cue to out-jump the Foxes defence and power in another header.

Following up on his earlier effort, Antonio Rudiger arrived on cue to out-jump the Foxes defence and power in another header.

Elsewhere on the day, relegation threatened Watford put up a brave fight at home, but saw their two-goal lead evaporate with Theo Walcott’s injury time winner for 10-man Everton condemning them deeper into the relegation hole, Bournemouth moved out of the relegation places with a 2-1 win over fellow strugglers Aston Villa, West Ham’s two-goal lead slip and an eventual 3-3 with Brighton guaranteed them another week’s stay in the relegation chamber, and bottommost Norwich’s profligacy in front of goal at Newcastle despite picking up a point saw them slip further away from Premier League survival.

And on Sunday, Manchester City’s flailing title defense took another hit as they went down by two goals to nothing at Tottenham Spurs, while Burnley secured a point at home against Arsenal.

English Premier League Week 25 Standings

EPL Week 25 Standings

Leicester City 2-2 Chelsea

Leicester kept their eight-point lead over fourth-placed Chelsea intact following a topsy-turvy 2-2 draw at the King Power Stadium.

With both sides looking to boost their top-four hopes, Chelsea took the lead two minutes after half-time through Antonio Rudiger.

Leicester were behind for just eight minutes as Harvey Barnes' deflected effort brought them level before Ben Chilwell capitalised on an error from Willy Caballero, who was was picked ahead of Kepa Arrizabalaga.

The goals kept coming as Rudiger looped a header over Kasper Schmeichel to bring Chelsea level (71), but there was still time for Barnes to spurn a golden opportunity to give Leicester all three points, sending the ball wide of the far post with the goal at his mercy.

Bournemouth 2-1 Aston Villa

Ten-man Bournemouth leapfrogged Aston Villa and moved out of the relegation zone with a crucial 2-1 win at the Vitality Stadium.

Goals from Philip Billing (37) and Nathan Ake (44) gave Bournemouth a deserved half-time lead, before Jefferson Lerma was harshly sent off (70) for a second booking soon after the break.

On his Premier League debut, Aston Villa striker Mbwana Samatta - a new £8.5m signing from Genk - nodded his side back into the game (70) to ensure a nervy finish for the hosts, who managed to hold on for a massive three points in the scrap to survive.

The result sees the Cherries secure back-to-back Premier League home wins for the first time in a year, and climb out of the relegation zone into 16th.

Villa, still the only Premier League side without an away clean sheet, drop one place to 17th.

Palace 0-1 Sheffield United

A bizarre Vicente Guaita own-goal gifted Sheffield United a 1-0 victory against Crystal Palace, ending the Blades' winless away run in the Premier League.

United had barely had a shot when Guaita spilled a save from a corner, dropping the ball over his own line in an error that ultimately decided the game and ended the Blades' three-game run without a victory in top-flight away games.

But it was a miracle that both teams ended with 11 men. George Baldock was lucky to escape a second yellow card in the first period after tussling with Wilfried Zaha throughout the half before Joel Ward had a red card rescinded by VAR after a crunching tackle on Enda Stevens.

The win catapults Sheffield into fifth while Crystal Palace - who are now winless in seven games in all competitions - drop two places into 13th.

Liverpool 4-0 Southampton

Mohamed Salah scored twice as Liverpool beat Southampton 4-0 to go 22 points clear at the top of the Premier League with their 20th straight home league victory.

Moments after a strong appeal for a Southampton penalty was rejected, Jurgen Klopp's side took a hugely controversial lead through Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's low shot just after half-time.

The league leaders then doubled their advantage on the hour through Jordan Henderson's close-range effort.

Henderson then teed up Salah to chip after Alisson's precise long pass, before Roberto Firmino's unselfish assist set up the Egypt forward for his second at the end.

The result puts Liverpool 22 points clear, and the 20th straight home league victory equals the record set by City.

Newcastle 0-0 Norwich

Newcastle and Norwich played out a poor 0-0 draw at St. James' Park with neither side able to make the breakthrough in a game lacking in quality.

Norwich had the better of the chances, with Sam Byram (5) and Teemu Pukki (61) guilty of missing the best opportunities, while Newcastle could have gone ahead in the first half when Joelinton's header (21) was saved by Tim Krul.

There were 20 corners in total, with Norwich having 12 and Newcastle eight, yet neither side could make any of them count in a game which severely lacked a clinical finisher.

The result is not a great help to either side, with Norwich languishing seven points off safety at the bottom of the table, while Newcastle are 10th.

Watford 2-3 Everton

Everton completed a remarkable comeback as Theo Walcott's first Premier League goal of the season secured a dramatic 3-2 win from two goals down against Watford at Vicarage Road.

Adam Masina fired the hosts into a 10th-minute lead before Roberto Pereyra made it 2-0 three minutes before the break.

Everton deserved little from their first-half efforts, but found a route back into the match when Yerry Mina scrambled the ball home from close range (45), and the Colombian defender pulled the Toffees level when he headed in again in the fourth minute of first-half stoppage time.

The second period was a far more attritional affair, but Watford were handed a numerical advantage when Fabian Delph was sent off for a second bookable offence (71).

Everton would have settled for a point at that stage, but they snatched all three in the final minute of normal time as Walcott pounced to slide home at the far post to spark wild scenes of celebration among the travelling supporters. Everton moved up 9th while Watford dropped to 19th.

West Ham 3-3 Brighton

West Ham twice threw away two-goal leads to draw 3-3 with Brighton in which VAR awarded Glenn Murray’s late equaliser.

In a game littered with defensive gaffes and incredible relegation tension, West Ham were 2-0 ahead at half-time after goals from Issa Diop (30) and Robert Snodgrass (45) but a comical own-goal from Angelo Ogbonna after a flap from Lukasz Fabianski (47) gave Brighton hope.

Snodgrass then restored the two-goal cushion with his second deflected goal of the game as West Ham looked certain to climb away from danger and throw Brighton firmly into trouble.

However, a horrendous mix-up between Diop and Fabianski gifted Pascal Gross a leveller (75) before Glenn Murray scored his eighth career goal against West Ham, firing home from close range (79). The goal was originally chalked off for handball by referee Michael Oliver but VAR stepped in to controversially deem the ball had not struck Murray's hand.

The result leaves the Hammers stuck in the relegation zone and Brighton in 15th.

Manchester Utd 0-0 Wolves

Manchester United are now three without a win in the Premier League as they drew 0-0 with Wolves in the Premier League at Old Trafford.

Bruno Fernandes' debut was the only source of excitement at Old Trafford, with chances at a minimum for both sides, though David de Gea was forced into saves by Matt Doherty and Raul Jimenez in either half.

United came closest through Juan Mata, who struck wide from the edge, while Rui Patricio saved from sub Mason Greenwood's double-deflected effort and Diogo Dalot headed inches wide in stoppage time.

The result means sixth-place United missed the chance to close the gap on fourth-place Chelsea, which remains at six points, while Wolves are level on points, a place behind in seventh.


Burnley FC 0-0 Arsenal

Arsenal recorded a fourth consecutive Premier League draw as they were held 0-0 in an entertaining stalemate with Burnley at Turf Moor.

Mikel Arteta's side were profligate in front of goal in the opening exchanges as both Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang missed good chances, but they were fortunate to avoid defeat late on as Jay Rodriguez struck the crossbar from point-blank range.

Arsenal move back into the top half of the table in 10th but are still 10 points off the Champions League places after extending their current barren run to one win in their last nine Premier League games. Remarkably, they have now drawn 13 league games - the most after 25 games in the competition's history.

Tottenham 2-0 Manchester City

Steven Bergwijn's stunning volley on his debut helped Tottenham to a 2-0 victory over 10-man Manchester City, who missed a first-half penalty.

City were reduced to 10 men after Oleksandr Zinchenko picked up two needless yellows (60), before debutant Bergwijn's superb chest down and instinctive volley from just inside the box gave Spurs the lead with their first shot on goal (63).

Spurs got their second as Heung-Min Son's low effort from the edge deflected off the foot of Fernandinho and flew past Ederson (71), all coming after a first half in which City dominated before more VAR drama.

Sergio Aguero had hit the post early on, but VAR stole the headlines in the first half as Serge Aurier gave away a penalty via a delayed VAR decision for a foul on the Argentine. Ilkay Gundogan's spot-kick was saved by Hugo Lloris (40), before VAR then checked if Lloris had brought Raheem Sterling down at the ensuing rebound, but VAR confirmed he had not and stuck with Mike Dean's call of no penalty.

The result means Spurs close the gap on fourth-place Chelsea to four points, while Liverpool now lead Manchester City by 22 points with just 39 left to play for this season.

EPL Week 25 Scores At A Glance

Leicester City 2-2 Chelsea

Bournemouth 2-1 Aston Villa

Palace 0-1 Sheffield United

Liverpool 4-0 Southampton

Newcastle 0-0 Norwich

Watford 2-3 Everton

West Ham 3-3 Brighton

Manchester Utd 0-0 Wolves


Burnley FC 0-0 Arsenal

Tottenham 2-0 Manchester City


Game day reports from BBC and skysports were used in this compilation.

Sign up via our free email subscription service to receive notifications when new information is available.