Thu, Jul


  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times


 Home  Score  Away
 Burnley FC  1-2  Manchester City
 Hull City  1-1  West Brom
 Leicester City  2-2  Middlesbrough
 Liverpool  2-0  Sunderland
 Swansea  5-4  Crystal Palace
 Chelsea  2-1  Tottenham Spurs
 Watford 0-1  Stoke City
 Arsenal 3-1  Bournemouth
Southampton 1-0 Everton
 Manchester United 1-1  West Ham


2015 English Premier League Champions - Chelsea - maintained their stay atop the PL for the second straight week, thanks to a come from behind victory at Stamford Bridge that saw them hand Tottenham Spurs their first defeat of the dozen and a game old season.

Manchester City claimed back-to-back PL wins for the first time since September as they came back from a goal down at Turf Moor for a hard fought 2-1 win over Burnley, impressive Liverpool extended their unbeaten run in the PL to eleven straight games with a 2-0 win over visiting Sunderland, and defending PL Champions – Leicester City – were forced to come from behind to salvage a point at home against Middlesbrough, thanks to Islam Slimani’s injury time goal from the spot.

Elsewhere on Saturday, substitute Fernando Llorente scored twice in stoppage time as Swansea overcame Crystal Palace in a nine-goal game shootout for their first PL win since opening day, and  a much-improved second-half display saw Hull City come from behind to secure a well-deserved point against West Brom at the KCOM Stadium.

And on Sunday, PL title hopefuls – Arsenal – ended a run of 3 successive draws with a 3-1 spanking of Bournemouth, Jose Mourinho and his Manchester Utd team’s title hopes faded some more as they fell behind in the chase by 11 whopping points, Charlie Austin’s header just 41 seconds into the game doomed Southampton to a lone goal loss and an own goal from goalie Heurelho Gomes gave Stoke a deserved win at Watford.

Sunday games


Watford 0-1 Stoke

Heurelho Gomes pushed Charlie Adam's header into his own goal to hand Stoke City a 1-0 win away at Watford on Sunday.

Adam looked to have barged Valon Beharami to meet the corner, just before the half-hour mark, but the goal stood and ultimately proved decisive.

Walter Mazzarri appeared to snub Mark Hughes' handshake at the final whistle in what was a disappointing day all round for the home side.

Arsenal 3-1 Bournemouth

An Alexis Sanchez double helped Arsenal earn a hard-fought 3-1 win against Bournemouth on Sunday.

Arsenal went ahead early on after Sanchez capitalised on a poor Steve Cook backpass to slot home, before Callum Wilson equalised with a soft penalty after he was brought down by Nacho Monreal in the area.

Theo Walcott regained Arsenal's lead eight minutes into the second half with a header after Monreal's fine cross, while Bournemouth had a strong penalty appeal turned down by Mike Jones after Monreal handled in the area.

Sanchez made sure of the points in stoppage time, finishing simply from six yards after substitute Olivier Giroud's centre.

The result means Arsenal, who are unbeaten in 19 games, stay three points off leaders Chelsea, and break their winless run after three straight draws in all competitions.

Southampton 1-0 Everton

Charlie Austin scored after just 41 seconds to earn Southampton a first win in five Premier League games as Everton boss Ronald Koeman had an unhappy return to St Mary's Stadium.

Everton had hardly touched the ball when Austin headed home from point-blank range after an assist from 19-year-old debutant Josh Sims.

Koeman, who was given a mixed reception on his return to the club he left in June, saw his side miss numerous chances to equalise.

The best fell to Idrissa Gueye, but the former Aston Villa midfielder shot over after Seamus Coleman's cut-back.

The win lifts Southampton up to 10th in the Premier League, two points behind seventh-placed Everton.

Manchester Utd 1-1 West Ham

Jose Mourinho was sent to the stands as Manchester United were again frustrated at home with a 1-1 draw against West Ham.

Diafra Sakho gave the Hammers the lead after just two minutes when he headed in Dimitri Payet's free-kick.

But United responded midway through the first half when Zlatan Ibrahimovic flicked past Darren Randolph from Paul Pogba's pass over the top.

Pogba was booked for diving shortly afterwards, an incident that enraged Mourinho and saw him sent from the sidelines for kicking a water bottle in frustration.


Saturday Games


Burnley 1-2 Man City

Sergio Aguero scored twice as Manchester City came from behind to beat Burnley 2-1 at Turf Moor in the Premier League.

The Clarets, for whom 37-year-old Paul Robinson started in goal in place of the injured Tom Heaton, took the lead in the 14th minute thanks to a brilliant volley from Dean Marney.

But Aguero replied for City before the break and, after being denied by a superb save from Robinson, netted a scrappy winner on the hour mark after the hosts spurned several chances to clear their lines.

City dropped to the third spot on 30points.

Hull City 1-1 West Brom

Michael Dawson's late equaliser denied West Brom a third straight Premier League win and salvaged a 1-1 draw for struggling Hull.

Gareth McAuley headed home a Matty Phillips corner (34) as the Baggies dominated the opening half and looked destined to add to recent victories over Leicester and Burnley.

But an improved performance in the second half from the hosts finally yielded a point when Dawson poked home via the inside of the near post (72) after Robert Snodgrass' free-kick was knocked down to his feet.

Leicester 2-2 Middlesbrough

Islam Slimani's injury-time penalty rescued a point for Leicester as they came from behind twice against Middlesbrough.

Alvaro Negredo ended a goal drought which stretched back to the opening day of the season when he put Boro ahead following a neat exchange of passes with Gaston Ramirez.

Riyad Mahrez equalised from the penalty spot after Calum Chambers was judged to have handled.

Negredo looked to have given Boro the points when he latched on to a long ball from Adam Forshaw and clinically dispatched a low shot past Foxes goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler.

But Slimani converted from the spot in the fourth minute of injury-time after Wes Morgan was fouled by Marten de Roon.

Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland

Second-half goals from sub Divock Origi and James Milner gave Liverpool a 2-0 win over Sunderland in the Premier League on Saturday.



Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland



Origi, who came on as a first-half substitute, squeezed the ball home from the edge of the area to break the deadlock with just 15 minutes remaining, before Milner netted a stoppage-time penalty to wrap up the points.

In an uneventful, goalless first period, there was worry for Liverpool as in-form Philippe Coutinho was brought off on a stretcher with a foot injury. Liverpool moved up second on the log.

Swansea 5-4 Crystal Palace

Fernando Llorente’s stoppage-time double gave Bob Bradley his first Premier League win as Swansea claimed a thrilling 5-4 victory over Crystal Palace.



Swansea 5-4 Crystal Palace

Wilfried Zaha had put Palace ahead at the Liberty Stadium before Gylfi Sigurdsson's sensational free-kick sent the teams in level at half-time.

Leroy Fer scored two goals in three minutes after the break to put Swansea clear of their opponents, before James Tomkins and a Jack Cork own-goal brought Palace back to 3-3.

Christian Benteke looked to have won it for Palace in the 84th minute after turning in Scott Dann's header, but substitute Llorente poked in two goals in added time to condemn Palace to their sixth Premier League defeat in a row.

Chelsea 2-1 Tottenham

Chelsea returned to the top of the table after coming from behind at Stamford Bridge to inflict Tottenham's first Premier League defeat this season.



Chelsea 2-1 Tottenham Spurs


Spurs looked on course to recover from their midweek Champions League exit when Christian Eriksen's superb 11th minute strike put them in front.

Mauricio Pochettino's side were completely dominant until the closing seconds of the first half when Pedro curled in a spectacular right-foot effort to draw Chelsea level.

And Spurs' miserable record at Stamford Bridge was extended to 30 games without a win - dating back to February 1990 - after Victor Moses scored what proved to be the winner six minutes after the restart.

Spurs keeper Hugo Lloris and Jan Vertonghen both got touches on Moses' goal-bound strike but the ball flew in as Chelsea recorded a seventh league victory in succession.




Game day report from skysports and BBC were used in this compilation

Sign up via our free email subscription service to receive notifications when new information is available.