The gunman who killed at least 50 people and wounded more than 200 at a country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip late Sunday night has been identified.
Police identified the gunman as area resident Stephen Paddock, 64, and said they had no information yet about his motive.
He was not believed to be connected to any militant group, Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters. There were 10 rifles found in Paddock's room and he had been staying at the hotel since Thursday.
He rained down rapid fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel for several minutes before he was shot dead by police.
The death toll was initially declared as two before being raised to twenty with over a hundred injured in the early hours of Monday. The death toll has since been raised to 50 with the injured numbering over two hundred.
The death toll, which police has emphasized as preliminary, would make the attack the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, eclipsing last year’s massacre of 49 people at an Orlando night club.
Thousands of panicked people fled the scene, in some cases trampling one another as law enforcement officers scrambled to locate and kill the gunman. Shocked concert goers, some with blood on their clothes, wandered the streets after the attack.
“We have no idea what his belief system was,” Lombardo said. “We’ve located numerous firearms within the room that he occupied.”
Authorities believed they had located Paddock’s roommate, who they identified as Marilou Danley. He gave no details of whether she was suspected of involvement in the attack but described her as an “associate.”
Police have since located Marilou Danley and are questioning her.
The dead included one off-duty police officer, Lombardo said. Two on-duty officers were injured, including one who was in stable condition after surgery and one who sustained minor injuries, Lombardo said. Police warned the death toll may rise.
According to several news reports, 406 people have been transported to various hospitals.
WATCH: Brother of Las Vegas gunman speaks out on deadly mass shooting pic.twitter.com/23zI2G0tt9— Breaking911 (@Breaking911) October 2, 2017
Donald Trump has offered his “warmest condolences and sympathies” to victims of the Las Vegas shooting.
The President took to Twitter shortly after sheriff Joe Lombardo confirmed the massacre was the deadliest mass shooting in US history.
Trump tweeted: “My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!”
My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2017
(Reuters and other newswires)